Musculoskeletal diseases are conditions affecting the muscles, bones and joints not caused by infection or cancer.
They are the sum of the following (with their contribution to the total Musculoskeletal diseases deaths in 2002):
1. Rheumatoid arthritis, Map, (23% of deaths).
2. Osteoarthritis, Map, (4% of deaths).
3. Gout, no map, (no data given).
4. Low back pain, no map, (no data given).
5. Other musculoskeletal disorders, no map, (no data given).
Global Burden of Disease does not detail the figures for 3, 4 and 5; but it is probable that most of the remaining 72% of deaths here were in the last category, other musculoskeletal disorders.
Musculoskeletal diseases caused 0.2% of all deaths worldwide in 2002, an average of 17 deaths per million people per year.