Cardiovascular diseases are diseases of the heart and blood vessels, and are the sum of the following (with their contribution to the total Cardiovascular diseases deaths in 2002).
1. Heart failure due to Rheumatic Fever [Rheumatic heart disease], U105 Map 452, (2% of deaths).
2. High blood pressure [Hypertensive heart disease], U106 Map 455, (5% of deaths).
3. Heart attacks [Ischaemic heart disease], U107 Map 454, (43% of deaths).
4. Strokes [Cerebrovascular disease], U108 Map 453, (33% of deaths).
5. Inflammation of the heart [Inflammatory heart disease] , U109 Map 456, (3% of deaths).
6. Other cardiovascular diseases, U110 no map, (14% of deaths).
Cardiovascular diseases caused 29% of all deaths worldwide in 2002, an average of 2688 deaths per million people per year.