Worldmapper
mapping your world as you've never seen it before - find out more at www.worldmapper.limited


 
 
 

Search for a map:

< Previous Map

Malaria Deaths

Map No. 230

Open PDF poster

Next Map >

In 2003, 92% of malaria cases and 94% of malarial deaths were recorded as being in African territories. The other 6% of deaths were mainly in Asia Pacific and Southern Asia.

The total deaths recorded were 0.15% of the total cases. Whilst there were most malaria cases in Southeastern Africa, there were most deaths in Central Africa. Symptoms of malaria include fever and vomiting. Most deaths occur in cerebral malaria.

The term ‘malaria’ comes from the medieval Italian ‘mala aria’ meaning ‘bad air’. The term was coined at a time before the mosquito had been identified as the carrier of the parasite.

“My wife died a few months ago. Very probably from malaria because she had a lot of fever and was also vomiting. But she never went to a health center. Because of the lack of money.” Révérien, 2004

Territory size shows the proportion of worldwide deaths from malaria that occur there.


PDF poster
Open PDF poster
population map Open Population Map for comparison

| Articles | Data | FAQ | News | RSS |

Sheffield University Logo University of Michigan Logo
The Geographical Association Logo
Center for the Study of Complex Systems logo Society of Cartographers logo
The Leverhulme Trust Logo